home | about | contact | etiquette daily | news | site map | dining etiquette | etiquette books

Have a Dining Etiquette Question?

Submit it to us through our contact us page.

Follow Us on Twitter and Facebook for great dining etiquette and table manners tips:

Follow Etiquette Scholar on Twitter Follow Etiquette Scholar on Facebook

etiquette scholar / dining etiquette / table setting / table setting terms

Table Setting Terms


The space allotted the diner on which tableware is placed.


Eating utensils with a cutting edge, such as steak knives.


A collective term for plates, bowls, cups and saucers.


Utensils manufactured from flattened sheets of metal cut and stamped into form; ware that lays flat on the table, such as a knife, fork, and spoon.


Non-stemmed drinking vessels, such as tumblers and bar glasses; also glass plates, cups, and bowls.


Serveware with height and depth that is hollow in the center; for example, a water pitcher or a coffeepot.

Place Setting

The space, or "setting," on the table where the dinnerware, stemware, and flatware are placed.


Utility ware used to serve a meal; for example, platters, trays, and bowls.


Tableware that matches, such as dinnerware, flatware, and stemware ornamented with the same motif.

Table Service

A term that encompasses dinnerware, flatware, glassware, and linens.


An inclusive word for dinnerware, flatware, and glassware; the ware from which food and drink are taken.


A non-stemmed glass with a flat or semi-round base, such as a bar glass.

- , Editor, Etiquette Scholar

If you find any typographical errors, inaccuracies, or inconsistencies, or if you just have something to add, please email us.